Friday, June 4, 2010

Is ignorance really bliss?

I find it amusing that people in general especially my people of color
snicker when I refer to my natural hair as curly, or when I look for
curly hair products. Should I say nappy and use nappy products? Nappy
isn't even a texture, and as far as I'm concerned is a negative
reference to my beautiful hair. Yes I embrace my blackness and am
proud
to be of african descent so I would never try to pretend my assets are
of any other.

Lets face facts, our hair (black hair) is curly. Some of our curls are
wound tighter than others but still curly. Our hair tends to dry out
easily so instead of the bouncy spring-like curls we recognize as
curls,
it usually looks like a puffy cloud, or matted.

Care must be taken to get the furthest potential out of our hair in
its
natural state. Proper tools and product must be used to get the grade
of
hair we already have to shine through.

1. What kind of shampoo are you using? You cannot just throw whatever
was on sale this week on your hair and expect the best results. Take
time to read the ingredients list... that is what its there for after
all. Opt for a sulfate free poo. Research has long shown that sulfates
strip the strands of all its natural and essential oils, which in turn
leaves hair looking dry, rough and damaged; which is the exact
opposite
of what we're aiming for.

2. Do you allow your natural tresses to bask in the extra moisure of a
deep
penetrating conditioner, or hot oil treatment? Our hair needs it! Some
of us more or less than others but deep conditioners, treatments are
essential in caring for natural hair. Again reading is fundamental,
stand in the aisle and read the ingredients. Does it contain mineral
oil? If so, put it down and move on to the next product. Mineral oil
is
a filler, cheap stuff companies put in their products to make your
hair
SEEM to be moisturized... but guess what I found out!!! Its not. Hair
and skin is
unable to absorb mineral oil so it just sits on the outer layer making
things look moist when they aren't at all. Instead opt for products
that
are silicone based, (ex. dimethecone). Preferably once to twice a
month.
Invest in a paddle cushion brush with rubber tips to detangle hair
instead of a comb. Less pain, and breakage esp. by holding hair in
other
hand, between the scalp and where you are detangling.

3. What do you use to prep your curls? I've learned that in order to
get
the best curls, we have to start with wet hair straight from the
shower.
Try to find and use a conditioner that doesn't contain alcohol. If
that's too hard to
do, (which it probably will be since most of them have a variety of
alcohols) look for one specifically for curly hair... or atleast one
that is moisturizing and paraben free. Smooth individual curls by
slightly twirling
around fingers (this relaxes its natural desire to curl in a bunch of
different directions resulting in the undesired curl-less frizzy look),
then
allow to dry naturally or under a hooded dryer, blow drying only
defeats
the purpose.

4. Keep curls intact, and well behaved by applying curl hair milk
during
the day when needed. And in the morning by dampening hair and applying
a
small amount of conditioner to reset any mussed curls. Don't forget to
secure hair in a braid: braided down to 1 inch from ends, and wrap
hair
up with a silk or satin scarf to protect against friction and keep
hair
manageable.

Our natural hair is beautiful and we can make it look and feel the way
we want it to without chemicals and heat. Let your "curly", yes I said
curly hair shine through and kick "nappy" to the curb, cuz I don't
know
about you but I don't have nappy hair, never have never will... its
non-existant and I don't identify with it.

Myrick Hair= Good hair= Healthy hair

I'll transform your hair and take it to its fullest potential. Don't
just take my word for it, sit in my chair and find out for yourself.

Email: myrickhair@gmail.com
Visit me at: http://myrickhair.weebly.com or
http://www.facebook.com/myrickhair

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment

You May Also Like: