Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Megan's hair update

Megan's hair has presented me with some challenges. Before her, I was known to be able to get your hair growing; her hair kept trying to prove that notion wrong.

From day one it had grown in uneven. I kept thinking I should cut it all even but I never did and by the time i was going to, i didn't want to hack it all off. So I kept working with it and trimming off more than the usual to get it full and healthy.

Her texture has very little curl definition, is very delicate and very dry (not brittle, just hard to retain moisture) which made it challenging to retain length evenly. I felt like I tried every moisturizing product there was, with little result.

In the past year tho I have started her on a new routine which has her hair doing MUCH better. I'm seeing a lot of growth and fullness. I'm still cutting it down so it will all be even in length and fullness but after the next few trims I think it will be exactly where I want it to be. And I'm excited!

I love to see little Afro American girls with long, thick, healthy, natural weave free hair. I love the confidence and pride it gives her to see her own hair make progress. I know hair isn't everything, and I teach her that. But it does mean a lot to know that being a black girl doesn't inhibit you from having longer lengths. and that you don't have to feel inferior to someone of another race who has long hair.

Her moisture level is in control, I've found that contrary to what I thought, her hair doesn't like heavy shea butter (as a moisturizer). It makes it sticky, and weighed down, and attracts a lot of dirt which only locks into her braids and makes it a nightmare when it's time to take her braids down. Rather her hair responds very well to lighter oils like coconut oil which penetrates the shaft.

This past wash day I was thrilled to see her hair thickening quite a bit , and the length she's acquired; which means I can start trimming off less hair per trim (3-4 time a year).

Routine: I wash her hair once a month with either a sulfate free shampoo or mostly co wash (her hair loves to be co washed) deep condition with every wash, trim 3-4 times a year, and an occasional protein treatment (for strength) and I pay close attention to her hair needs. And I haven't been blow drying it. I twist and she sits with a dryer bonnet on.

Shampoo: Shea moisture yucca and baobab thickening shampoo (her hair loves this stuff it seems to be working... It's been 3months)

Co wash: Trader joes tea tree tingle conditioner or suave rosemary mint conditioner

Rinse out / detangle: same as co wash.

Deep conditioner: shea moisture deep penetrating treatment or I make my own.

Leave-in/styling: herbal essences LTR leave in, garnier fructis sleek & shine leave-in, most recent loreal ever sleek leave in, tresemme heat tamer spray, tresemme keratin smooth heat protection spray, coconut oil, Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, profectiv growth sheen to finish.

















2 comments:

You May Also Like: